- Editor Rating
- Rated 4 stars
- Makeup Geek blushes
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- PackagingEditor: 90%
- Color RangeEditor: 90%
- FinishEditor: 90%
- Formula/ IngredientsEditor: 90%
- ApplicationEditor: 90%
- PigmentationEditor: 80%
- Lasting PowerEditor: 70%
- Value For MoneyEditor: 80%
- AvailabilityEditor: 80%
“Hello, my name is Bonnie and I’m addicted to blushes” “Hello Bonniiiiiiiie!” I could easily picture myself in a BAA meeting (Blushes Addict Anonymous) after I purchased the entire collection of the new Makeup Geek blushes! wink
I really don’t speak enough of the great Makeup Geek products here. Yet, I love them and have loved them for at least 2 years. I first I discovered their amazing eyeshadows and I never stopped collecting their products since then! wink
I really need to finally write this post I promised myself to do on my MUG collection but I have this feeling it’ll be a very long process ah ah ah…
In short, MUG products are overall great quality products (the composition is excellent, talc-free, cruelty free and some of the products are even vegan and gluten-free) with a very good pigmentation and a good lasting power. The color choice is getting better and better and the shades are lovely!
Although I know the MUG eyeshadows very well, I must confess that I don’t really know their blush range. Well, it’s not entirely true because I owned 2-3 (before I purchased almost the entire new collection, ahem) and I liked them very much, especially one of them, Spell Bound, which is one of my favorite blush of all time. bigsmile
And a few months ago, Marlena, the founder of Makeup Geek announced that the blushes will be completely redesigned, their formula improved and some new colors added. I thought it was the perfect opportunity to place an
small order! bigsmile
The blushes I review in this post are a mix between the old ones I already own (Bliss and Romance) and the new ones I recently ordered (Cherish, Puppy Love, Love Letter, XOXO, Rendez Vous, and even Spell Bound I re-ordered in its improved version because I love it so much).
Makeup Geek blushes, presentation:
What the brand says about them:
“Soft and subtle to bright and bold, Makeup Geek Blushes blend effortlessly into the skin to add the perfect dose of radiance to your cheeks. Their finely milled powder guarantees a smooth, buttery feel and a flawless application, every time. Rich pigmentation combined with a fade-resistant formula offers buildable, long-lasting color.
Choose from 20 shades that have been designed to suit porcelain, fair, medium, and deep skin tones. Paraben free, cruelty free, talc free (great for sensitive skin!), and made in the USA.”
The range includes 20 shades, organized according to 4 complexion types:
– Porcelaine/ very fair skin: Secret Admirer, Promise Ring, Bliss, Blind Date, Cherish.
– Fair/ light skin tones: Spell Bound, Romance, Main Squeeze, Heart Throb, Love Letter.
– Medium/ medium complexions: XOXO, Infatuation, Puppy Love, Soul Mate, Valentine.
– Deep/ darker skin tones: Summer Fling, Rendez Vous, Desire, Chivalry, Covet.
The brand recommends to choose the colors based on your complexion but you can also go up or down a town according to the intensity of the result you want on your cheeks. I find this color chart quite good and I used it to choose the colors of my blushes although I also chose them according to my taste! wink
I have a light skin tone so the most suitable colors for me are those that match the Fair complexion. I chose 3 blushes from this category. But the fact that the intensity of the blush can adapt to the color of the skin is also very handy if like me for example, you like the peach or coral blushes but it’s not the most flattering color on your skin. A lighter version is so much easier to use and won’t clash with your skin tone.
Most Makeup Geek blushes are matte, which I personally prefer because I find them more natural and I can always add luminosity where I want to with a highlighter.
Makeup Geek blushes, my test and thoughts:
As I said above, the MUG blushes formula is quite impeccable: talc-free, paraben-free (it doesn’t especially concern me, but I know it can be a concern for many people), cruelty-free and for some colors, vegan and gluten-free. Makeup Geek has its own laboratory and all products are manufactured in the United States.
I chose the pan version, which is magnetic and can be placed in a empty palette (here, it’s a Z-Palette Large) because they are a little cheaper ($10) but they also exist in a compact version, in a lovely metallic compact with mirror and a magnetic closure! These retailed for $ 15.
Most of them are matte for a more natural effect on the cheeks but some of them are slightly shimmery. In those I own, this is the case for Romance, it contains gold shimmer.
The others are luminous matte and they’re not dull at all. They don’t feel powdery on the skin.
– Colour range:
I have also mentioned it above, there are 20 different colors and they’re suitable for all skin colors! This is a very wide range and I personally think the colors are very pretty, flattering and natural. I can easily imagine a makeup artist using them in their professional kit!
I find the pigmentation very good. Some colors for lighter skin tones are slightly less pigmented but I don’t say that in a negative sense, as they are supposed to be like this for the lighter skins on which certain colors can quickly appear too much. Also, they’re quite buildable if you want to intensify the result.
They are really easy to blend, even the darker colors! If you are afraid of blushes because you don’t want to look like a clown, these blushes are perfect for you! Because even if you apply too much, they blend like a dream, no risk of staining the skin!
I applied and I blend them with a blush brush (with natural or synthetic bristles, it doesn’t make any difference wink ).
– Lasting power:
I would say their lasting power is quite average (6 to 8 hours on me). That’s quite honorable but they’re not the most long-lasting blush I own (considering that a long-lasting blush remains quite rare on my oily skin wink ).
– Value for money:
For me, the quality is definitely here! And $10 to $15 for a blush is not excessive at all. smile
Makeup Geek blushes, colours and swatches:
– Bliss: a beautiful light peach with a matte finish. The orange shades are not the most flattering on me but this one is very easy to wear and perfect for summer.
– Cherish: a nude with warm undertones, almost apricot. One of those colors that goes with everything and that just gives a little pop of color on the cheeks without being too much! wink
– Puppy Love: one of my favorites! A light pinkish brown, kind of nude but more intense! It’s a color that goes well with many skin tones because it’s still a neutral shade.
– Romance: the only shimmery MUG blush I own. It’s a peach with very fine gold glitter. It’s not a chunky glitter but a very subtle luminous effect. Perfect when I have a slight tan because it enhances it.
– Spell Bound: my number 1! smile It’s a very clear coral pink, super flattering on light skin and I think it goes with every makeup looks! It enhances the cheeks in a very natural and subtle way.
– Love Letter: a dusty mauve pink, with cool undertones. For me, it’s more of a winter color but it still looks super pretty with peachy lips for example. wink
– XOXO: I love it! It’s a hot pink, like a light watermelon. It’s extremely bright, and it gives a lot of radiance to the face without being “clownish”.
– Rendez Vous: a stunning fuchsia, bright and pigmented. On my skin, a little goes a long way to give a lot of radiance to the complexion! smile
And on me:
(I really hope you’ll be able to see something, it’s always difficult to take a good picture of blushes uneasy )
My lipstick: ColourPop Lippie Stix Sheer Kiddo
My lipstick: ColourPop Ultra Satin Lip Cozy
– Puppy Love:
My lipstick: Urban Decay Vice Lipstick Ravenswood
My lipstick: Urban Decay X Gwen Stefanie Ex-Girlfriend (discontinued)
– Spell Bound:
My lipstick: ColourPop Ultra Satin Lip Alyssa
– Love Letter:
My lipstick: BITE Beauty Amuse Bouche lipstick Meringue
My lipstick: ColourPop Ultra Satin Lip November
– Rendez Vous:
My lipstick: Urban Decay Vice Lipstick Psycho
- the very good quality of the formula
- they're talc-free, paraben free, cruelty-free and made in the USA
- the packaging is sleek and practical
- great pigmentation, that adapts itself to different skin colors
- the shades, all very pretty and wearable
- they're very luminous
- the price, very affordable
- MUG is only available online
I’m really a fan of these blushes. they’re perfect for a everyday wear! Pretty colors, super easy application, what’s not to love? wink
And you, what do you think of these Makeup Geek blushes? Do you have any on your wish list? wink
Photo credit: bonnie-garner.com