- Editor Rating
- Rated 4 stars
- Formula X for Sephora
- Reviewed by:
Drying processEditor: 90%
Lasting PowerEditor: 90%
Value for MoneyEditor: 70%
A new nail polish at Sephora with nearly 200 colors / textures / effects? As well as “The System” which provides a perfect manicure for more than 5 days?
It almost sounds too good to be true… But as a real nail polish addict, it would have been rude not to check it out and see if all the fuss about it was justified!
Formula X for Sephora nail polish:
The least I can say is that the choice is huge! I spent more than 20 minutes in front of the Formula X counter before being able to pick one single color, the first time I came across the brand at Sephora.
So here’s my review:
Oh what a choice! Frankly, I wanted them all!!! There is something for everybody with neutral colors, some more classic, the seasonal collections, and the different ‘special effects‘… It makes your head spin!
I had a small preference for the classics and the neutrals for sure, but I also got two of the ‘special effects’ nail polishes which will make my manicure pop a little more from time to time!
So I bought (from left to right in the photo):
– Hyperactive (a glittery top-coat that gives the impression that my nails are covered with some sort of gold leaves)(yes, like some very luxury chocolates)
– Unmistakable (a minty green, very milky, almost a perfect dupe from one of my old time favorites from Essie, “Mint Candy Apple“),
– Perfection (a nudy kind of taupe, perfect for the Fall)(which should occur in 3 months here but I haven’t given up hope)
– Provocative (a baby blue)(which is a very provocative color, isn’t it? ;))
– Potent (a fair mauvy pink, which reminds me of a perfect mix between two old fav from OPI: “Panda-monium Pink” and “Lucky Lucky Lavender“),
– Frenetic (a bright fuchsia pink),
– Metamorphic (a sublime chrome and iridescent black that makes my nails look like some luxury car rimes)(I know, I know, my comparison sucks but hey, I just come back from my holidays, don’t blame me)
These are “3-free” nail polishes (ie without toluene, formaldehyde and DBP) and also without paraben. They are not the safest nail polishes, but I’ve seen worse, it’s an honorable attempt for their formula.
It is very fluid, sometimes too much and can be quite streaky. You really need two coats if you want a perfect result (and not just one like Formula X recommends).
On the other hand, the Hyperactive top coat is very very thick, you really need to shake it well before applying.
I would say it’s an average coverage. I’ve seen nail polishes with more coverage, but with two coats, it’s OK.
What a pity! Recently, many brands of nail polishes redesigned their brushes for a a great “cat tongue” shape, super easy to apply the product. But here, the Formula X still has one of these super fine brushes, that really are not the easiest to use! A shame, especially for a new product range.
Well, let’s just say the brushes are more precise, more on the professional side, disappointing though…
Super fast, and that’s great! By the time I apply it on my nails, it’s already dry, no need to wait: a real time saver!
The nail polishes are infused with an ingredient which boosts their shining effect (ShineXcel™), so they’re very glossy, even without a top-coat (but you will need one of course if you want your manicure to last longer ;)).
Alone, without “The System” (you need to buy it separately and on top of your nail polish), Formula X nail polishes don’t have a very long lasting power, let’s face it. It’s actually a pretty average lasting power. On my nails, that means 2 or 3 days, no more.
But with “The System”, it’s really a game changer, more details below…
I love the packaging!!! It’s so classy, high-end and yes, it’s like some multi-colored Murano glasses, but way more “chic”!
This packaging was made by a company called Established, and really, you did a great job guys!
They are between 10.50 and 12.50$. This is roughly the same price as Essie or OPI, which are very close in value for money.
You can find Formula X at Sephora.
OK, let’s get serious now! Because, despite the fact that I’m loving that you have hundreds of colours to choose from, for me, the “nails revolution” is really in “The System”.
And it hurts to admit it, because I really tried to resist the powerful marketing department’s arguments (you basically need to buy “the System” and the nail polish together), and not just buy the nail polish on its own. Because, well, bases and top coats, I have already plenty of them, thank you!
So I started by buying the nail polish on its own first, I was not impressed by the lasting power, then I read some really good reviews about “the System” online and I was hooked! I had to try it!!!
So, what exactly is “The System”?
It’s basically three products that provide you with a complete manicure in a set.
So, in the set, you have:
– cleanse: a very liquid and alcoholic product that I apply on the bare nail with its brush. It will remove any oil residue on the nails and increase the adhesion of the nail polish.
– prime: a base coat which protects the nails from the nail polish’s pigments, unify the nail’s surface and increase the lasting power of your manicure.
– shine: a top-coat which speeds up the drying process and makes the manicure very shiny and long-lasting.
Does it work, “The System”?
Oh yes! And I would even say that it works beyond my expectations!
Manicures never last on my nails. Like never, ever. If my nails stay unchipped after 4 or 5 days, it’s truly a miracle (my nails are soft with a tendency to peel). Sometimes, I found some good combos like this one, which are better than others. But here, I was so impressed by three things:
- The speed drying top-coat: 15 minutes later, I could return to my normal activity, without ruining my manicure! How cool is that? And if I want to do my mani at night, no problem. No sheet marks to declare! (take that, Sally Hansen top-coat!)
- The incredible shine: a real gel effect and with no shrinkage at all (take that Dior Gel Coat !). And the shine will stay for at least 4 days without fading. A dream!
- The impressive lasting-power: ONE WEEK, folks! It’s just a true miracle. I hear angels singing… Really! Not one single chip! Just the tip was starting to fade a little after a while, but nothing obvious. I just removed my manicure because I was bored with the colour, that’s all.
I did 2 tests.
For the first test, I did my manicure and I didn’t touch it for 6 days. The shine has somewhat faded after four days but no chips at all. The 7th day, a shock to one of my nails damaged part of the nail polish, and I had an excuse to remove it.
For the second test, I reapplied some top-coat the 4th day just to get an extra glossy effect till the end of the week. Still no chip. The 8th day, I wanted to change my nail color, so I removed my manicure, but I think it would have lasted 2 more days without a problem.
So, “The System” by Formula X for Sephora, is it really a dream manicure?
OK, to be a real pain in the butt, I found a little something bad to say about the “System”: the top-coat has a very thick texture. Like, really thick. You really have to shake it well before applying. But a part from that, I’m completely sold on Formula X for Sephora.
- impressive choice of colors/textures/effects
- glossy shine (and it lasts 4 days without fading)
- very fast drying
- crazy long lasting-power (more than 1 week!)
- brush is too fine (ok, it's more precise, but still, not the most practical to use)
- some of the nail polish's textures can be a little bit streaky (too liquidy) and some others are very thick (you really have to shake them well before applying)
- the top-coat is ultra thick, you also have to shake it before applying (and my guts tell me that it won't last very long)
And you, have you tried Formula X for Sephora? Have you also heard angels singing? Let me know in the comments!
Photo credits: Formula X, Sephora, Established, bonnie-garner.com.
Cet article est aussi disponible en français: Formula X for Sephora, mon avis