- Editor Rating
- Rated 4 stars
- MAC Liptensity Lipsticks
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- PackagingEditor: 80%
- Color RangeEditor: 90%
- FinishEditor: 80%
- FormulaEditor: 75%
- ApplicationEditor: 60%
- PigmentationEditor: 90%
- OpacityEditor: 90%
- ScentEditor: 80%
- Lasting PowerEditor: 80%
- Value For MoneyEditor: 80%
- AvailabilityEditor: 80%
If you follow the news in the Beauty world by reading blogs (or following some Beauty YouTube channels), I’m sure you can’t have missed the launch of the new MAC Liptensity Lipsticks.
MAC released them when I was still in the US, just before I came back to Dubai. I think MAC launched them during New York’s fashion week, so they were absolutely everywhere: blogs, magazines, YouTube…
Before going into the details of these pretty Liptensity lipsticks, I would like to begin by apologizing in advance because:
– I’m moving next week, so I’m not sure I will be able to post here as often as I would like to (it’s super frustrating for me, so I’ll do my best but it will probably be a little bit complicated)
– when I came back, after my holiday, I made a list of the products I wanted to review here, and I realized that I had a lot of lipsticks to talk about. Like, A LOT. (surprise, surprise) (ah ah, not really! Lipsticks are really the avocado toasts of the beauty world, they’re everyone’s favorites!).
So basically, my blog will be all about lipsticks these next weeks!
OK, now we’ve got that covered, let’s get back to the pretty MAC Liptensity Lipsticks! smile
MAC Liptensity Lipsticks, presentation:
What the brand says about them:
“A brilliant new Lipstick formula that pushes the boundaries of colour. Each Lipstick holds intense amounts of pigment, resulting in extreme colour intensity, clarity and vibrancy. This luxurious gelled base melts on contact, providing fully saturated colour with a satin finish in one stroke.“
The new MAC Liptensity Lipsticks are super pigmented lipsticks with a shiny satin finish.
The packaging is colorful and matches the color of the lipstick inside (it’s so beautiful when you see them all together, a true rainbow!). The formula texture is a gel-cream, and it melts on the lips, leaving an ultra-intense color on the lips. It’s also opaque in one single pass.
For this new lipstick collection, MAC teamed up with Maureen Seaberg, a color professional, who has the capacity to see up to 100 million colors, while the average eye can only see 1 million. (the colors of these lipsticks are probably even brighter in person, but we can’t really see them, with our average eyes lol :P )
MAC also used a new category of super saturated color pigments, the “High-Frequency Tetrachromatic Pigments” which allow the lipstick to be exactly the same color on the lips as the color we see in the tube.
Bright, bold colors are clearly the inspiration here, so if half of the range consists of fairly classic colors (nude, pink, red), there are also a lot of original and edgy shades such as a lavender gray (Galaxy Grey), a beautiful deep dark blue (blue Beat) and even a true black (Stallion).
Obviously, as a true boring and predictable beauty blogger, I chose 2 classic shades (most of the time, beauty brands don’t send me the entire range to review them, advantage for me is that I can say what I really feel about products as a result), I usually have to buy them myself and I wear them in real life! And what can I say, I love wearable, boring colors… wink
I already own a lot of MAC lipsticks and I love them, they’re very good classic lipsticks and the choice of colors is very wide. If I had to compare the Liptensity finish to an existing finish in the MAC lipsticks range, it would probably be Amplified’s big brother. The Amplified finish is very creamy and also quite intense in pigmentation. But let’s say that these Liptensity Lipsticks would be like a big brother on steroids! wink
So there are 24 colors in the range and the retail price is $21.
Unfortunately, this exciting collection is a limited edition (I really hate when MAC does that :/ ). So if you like a color, you definitely need to stock pile these! wink
MAC Liptensity Lipsticks, my test and thoughts:
– Packaging: I love it! It’s quite simple (it looks almost like a lip balm) but also luxury at the same time with its colored metal cap. I love the fact that the color of the cap is the same as the lipstick, which is always handy when you want to choose your lipstick shade of the day! smile
– Texture and feeling on the lips: the texture is creamy while being also “gelled”. It’s a little thick, I’m not gonna lie, and you can feel it on the lips. But it’s still very comfortable and leaves the lips moisturized and protected, which is very nice.
– Finish: a real satin finish, which makes the color on the lips look vibrant and bright.
– Scent: they smell like the signature MAC vanilla scent, which I really like.
– Pigmentation: pretty insane, like the opacity on the lips. The color is bright and opaque in one single pass.
– Color Range: absolutely stunning, the 24 shades are all more beautiful than the previous one, I struggled to limit myself to only 2! You can really find everything from the most classic to the craziest colors.
I clearly made a choice of more seasonal shades with Smoked Almond, a brownish pink, like a rosewood, and Marsala, a beautiful darker pink, almost like a beetroot shade.
– Application: not the easiest because the tip of the lipstick is round, so not super precise. In addition, since the color is super pigmented, it’s quite easy to end up with lipstick everywhere… I definitely recommend to use a lip brush with them, especially with the darker or brighter colors.
– Lasting Power: pretty good. The brand promises 8 hours of lasting power. I wouldn’t say that, but if I don’t eat, they easily last 6-7 hours on my lips.
– Value For Money: they retail for $21 and I would say it’s good value for money.
– Smoked Almond: a beautiful light pinkish brown, with warm undertones. I would classify it in the category of intense nude shades. At the moment, that’s all I want to wear, it goes with everything and it’s a very flattering color!
– Marsala: for me, it’s a perfect fall lipstick color. A dark pinkish red, like a beetroot color, with cool undertones. It gives a lot of radiance to the face and makes my eye color pop.
Finally, here are the swatches:
And on me:
– Smoked Almond:
- I love the colourful, metallic packaging: it's both high-end and fun
- the stunning color range (24 shades!)
- the insane pigmentation
- they're very comfortable
- they're moisturizing
- the nice subtle scent of vanilla, as always with MAC
- the lasting power is pretty good for a satin finish lipstick
- the bullet has a rounded shape, not very precise and it's difficult to draw pretty contours (you definitely need a lip brush for that)
- the texture is a bit thick, you can feel it when you wear it on the lips
I really like this range, the colors are definitely super attractive. Mulling Spices (a gorgeous dark red) and Eros (a bright pink) are definitely on my wishlist, and I’m very tempted to buy a second Smoked Almond because I love it so much! smile
The MAC Liptensity Lipsticks are available on maccosmetics.com for $21.
And you, are you tempted by these MAC Liptensity Lipsticks? Which colors are on your wishlist? smile
Photo credit: bonnie-garner.com