- Editor Rating
- Rated 3.5 stars
- Very Good
- NARS Velvet Lip Glide
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- PackagingEditor: 90%
- Color RangeEditor: 70%
- FinishEditor: 60%
- FormulaEditor: 80%
- ApplicationEditor: 80%
- PigmentationEditor: 80%
- OpacityEditor: 80%
- ScentEditor: 80%
- Lasting PowerEditor: 60%
- Value For MoneyEditor: 70%
- AvailabilityEditor: 70%
Yeaaah, NARS is launching a new lipstick! I was so excited when I bumped into the NARS Velvet Lip Glide in their flagship store when I was in New York last week!
I heard good things about it for weeks and I really wanted to see what it looks like!
Considering the name of this product, VELVET Lip Glide, I was hoping that NARS was finally launching a matte liquid lipstick, because that’s what every cosmetic brand is doing at the moment. (Even CHANEL! Going a little off topic here, but I had the opportunity to swatch the new Rouge Allure Ink in Barneys in New York where it was already available and frankly, they’re so so. The color range is super boring with 8 shades which look very similar: 8 shades of hot pink, baby pink, peachy pink, or pinky red… They apparently love pink lol! And they have a weird foam texture which reminds me of the Bourjois Rouge Edition Souffle De Velvet, which I hate. I really feel like CHANEL have lost their mojo with the last collections. They’re not as exciting as they used to be, don’t you think? But anyway, back to the main topic!)
But to be honest, I really didn’t know what to expect with this NARS Velvet Lip Glide lipstick…
NARS Velvet Lip Glide, presentation:
What the brand says about it:
“Covetable comfort meets confident color in a high-pigment formula that glides like a gloss, cloaks like a lipstick—and feels like nothing else. Semi-matte color glides on a stays supple without drying or feeling sticky. Developed with Oil Infusion Complex, an innovative concentration of precious oils, fused to create a smooth-glide effect. Fully coats lips on contact with smooth, saturated, semi-matte style.
Named for the personal power and play of ’70s counterculture, Velvet Lip Glide shades invoke the era’s new vibe with references to legendary venues and unforgettable attitude.”
It’s a hybrid liquid lipstick, between a lip lacquer and a lip gloss, with an high pigmentation, very comfortable on the lips and with a finish described by the brand as semi-matte.
It’s also moisturizing thanks to an oil complex incorporated in the formula. Moreover, these oils make it look super creamy. Unfortunately,the same oils prevent these lipsticks from lasting a very long time on the lips and with some colors, especially the darker ones, the product tends to migrate a little into fine lines and lip corners. uneasy
There are 13 shades in the range and they retail for $26.
I love the idea of naming the products after 70s night clubs! And I also think it reflects quite well the concept of this lipstick: bold shades to show off, a shiny finish to be the star under the spotlights and a lasting power… errr, ephemeral like the kind of relationships with the people you usually meet in such places? tongue
Because if you think that the NARS Velvet Lip Glide is a non transfer, long-lasting lipstick as the name would suggest, well, it’s not exactly the case…
NARS Velvet Lip Glide, my test and thoughts:
– Packaging: the packaging is beautiful, very simple and chic. It’s a high quality plastic (which looks like glass) rectangular bottle with matte black cap printed with the name of the brand. Really a beautiful object!
– Texture and feeling on the lips: the texture is creamy while being a little gel-like. It glides on the lips (like the name suggests) and it covers the lips with an ultra comfortable and nourishing layer. It still remains very lightweight on the lips. You can feel you’re wearing something, but it doesn’t feel sticky at all. They are very comfortable to wear.
– Finish: I wouldn’t say it’s a semi-matte finish. For me, just after the application, the finish is clearly shiny. After 1 or 2 hours, the finish becomes matte, it’s true but it also means that the product is fading and it leaves a lip taint effect on the lips (even if you can still feel the comfort on the lips). I hope that description makes sense lol. It’s really a pretty unique finish!
– Scent: they smell like vanilla, but it’s quite subtle. I was pleasantly surprised because it’s the first time I notice that NARS put a fragrance in its lipsticks! Usually they are fragrance-free.
– Pigmentation: excellent, and they also have a great opacity on the lips. The color is there and in one layer!
– Color range: quite nice, with 13 different shades of pretty nudes and bolder colors. There are also 3 red shades in the range and I found them quite. I wanted to choose 1 from the 3 and when I swatched them in the shop, I didn’t see a huge difference between them. As a result, it’s mostly the name that directed my choice! (Le Palace is the name of a mythic Parisian club #parisiangirlforever wink )
So I chose Bound, a sublime pinky nude mauve (what a surprise, I know lol) (but trust me, this color is absolutely stunning) and Le Palace, a beautiful cherry red.
– Application: super easy, thanks to the small and precise applicator. It distributes the right amount of product on the lips. It is also very easy to re-apply throughout the day (and it’s a great thing, considering the lasting power, ahem;) ).
Personally, I first applied in a first layer on the lips, I blot the excess in a tissue and I just reapply some in the center of the lips. This technique improves the lasting power and prevents the product from smudging too much.
– Lasting power: not the best, to be honest. They last around 3 hours on me, and they usually don’t survive a meal.
– Value for money: they retail for $26, which is not a surprising price for the brand.
NARS Velvet Lip Glide, the colors:
– Bound: finding the right nude color, the one that suits you, is usually a question of mixing the right colors! The right amount of pink, adding a bit of beige nude (not too peach nor too orange), a hint of mauve and tadam! You have your perfect nude! (well at least, that’s the right mix of colors for me wink )
Bound is the perfect shade of pinky mauve nude for me! Every time I wear it, people ask me what is on my lips. It’s always a good sign, isn’t it? smile
– Le Palace: a beautiful darker red shade, rather warm without being too orange. It contains a very fine golden shimmer that doesn’t really show on the lips once the product is applied. It’s a stunning shade! Something to know however: it’s better to apply a lip pencil before because it may tend to smudge a little bit. It’s kind of a high maintenance product.
Finally, here are the swatches:
And on me:
– Le Palace:
- the packaging is gorgeous: sleak and elegant
- nice selection of colors (but the 3 red shades are a little too similar IMO)
- the precise applicator, which allows to draw pretty contours
- a very good pigmentation and opacity on the lips
- the feeling on the lips is extremely pleasant: comfortable, while being super lightweight
- their moisturizing effect
- their subtle sweet vanilla scent, very nice
- they disappear quite nicely from the lips, leaving them slightly tinted
- the product name is misleading
- the finish is not really semi-matte as described by the brand. It's a glossy finish at the beginning, and it becomes a semi-matte finish before disappearing
- the 3 red shades (in the range of 13 shades) are too similar, such a shame!
- the darker colors are more high maintenance than the others: the liquid texture tends to smudge a little on the lips (it's better to apply a lip liner before)
In short, even though I’m crazy about the Bound color, I’m a little bit disappointed by these NARS Velvet Lip Glide… Perhaps it’s because the name is a bit misleading, but I’d prefer a matte liquid lipstick. The formula is not hyper innovative even if it’s nice to have such a comfortable product on the lips.
Honestly, I don’t think I’ll collect the colors like I do with the NARS Audacious lipsticks! (Did you see the new shades??? Apoline is to die for! heart heart <3)
The NARS Velvet Lip Glide lipsticks are available on NARS website for $26.
And you, are you eager to test these new NARS Velvet Lip Glide lipsticks or did you expected a matte liquid lipstick like me?
Photo credit: bonnie-garner.com