- Editor Rating
- Rated 4 stars
- Too Faced Melted Matte liquid lipsticks
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- PackagingEditor: 70%
- Color RangeEditor: 80%
- FinishEditor: 80%
- FormulaEditor: 90%
- ApplicationEditor: 90%
- PigmentationEditor: 90%
- CoverageEditor: 90%
- ScentEditor: 80%
- Lasting PowerEditor: 80%
- Value For MoneyEditor: 80%
- AvailabilityEditor: 80%
I haven’t been so excited about a range of liquid lipsticks for a long time (at least 2 months wink )! And the Too Faced Melted Matte collection is a really good surprise…
At first I was not particularly attracted to them. Besides the fact that I have way too many liquid lipsticks and that I have trouble finding a shade that I don’t already own (let’s be honest here), I wasn’t a fan of the classic formula of Too Faced Melted liquid lipsticks.
Although I love the range of colors of the classic formula, I find them difficult to apply (their foam applicator is super messy) and they age very badly on my lips: butt hole lips after 2 hours, followed by crumbles. It’s just yucky. I also don’t like the finish, super pigmented but not really matte, so usually I end with lipstick everywhere if I’m not super careful. In a word, for me, it’s a pass.
However, with the reviews for this new matte version being extremely positive, I took advantage of a coupon code a few weeks ago on the US Too Faced website and I added one to my cart. I tried the shade Queen B when I received it a few weeks ago (and I did a micro review/ first impressions on Snapshat) (my name there is bonniegarner if you fancy do come and say hello wink ) and I was very pleased by the formula! I rushed on to the Too Faced website again and ordered 2 more shades: Bend & Snap! and Sell Out. Sadly, Sell Out was out of stock… (it’s still the case sad )
But I thought that I would still show you the two I have in today’s post. I’m going on a road trip next week: US, Canada the US again, so maybe I will find the missing shade there (among tons of other things I want to buy there)(can you tell the excitement is very real for me!).
Too Faced Melted Matte liquid lipsticks, presentation:
What the brands says about them:
“Matte color gets a Melt-over!
Our innovative formula glides over lips like a gloss but dries to an ultra-matte opaque finish. Infused with a no-sting lip plumper and filler, Melted Matte ensures color always looks rich, full, and kissable – never dry, shriveled or cracked.
Doe-foot applicator comfortably coats lips in bursts of intense, saturated matte color that lasts for hours.“
It’s a high pigmentation liquid lipstick, with a completely matte finish.
The brand speaks of a long-lasting sans-transfer product but also a true comfort on the lips thanks to the skincare ingredients in the formula (avocado oil, vitamin E, and spheres of hyaluronic acid for a plumping effect on the lips).
There are 17 shades available in the range. The unit price is $21.
Too Faced Melted Matte liquid lipsticks, my test and thoughts:
– Packaging: pretty cool and cute. It’s a little bulky (the background is a wide and rectangular, it’s not the most practical for storage, but hey, it’s not a big flaw wink ).
– Texture: creamy while being quite liquid in the same time. It applies easily, without bleeding.
– Finish: it’s a completely matte finish that dries quickly after application, leaving a velvety effect on the lips. The formula is transfer and kiss-proof. wink
– Scent: they’ve got a slightly sweet smell, but quite subtle. I like it, it’s not overpowering. It’s very light, which is surprising from Too Faced. Usually, the brand is clearly on the very sweet side with its heavily chocolate or even peach scented eyeshadow palettes or bronzers. Honestly, I think I prefer it, I’m not a fan of super sweet scents in makeup (I’m a grown ass woman, not a little girl! wink ).
– Pigmentation: excellent, just like the opacity on the lips. The color is true to what you see in the tube and they apply evenly on the lips.
– Color range: quite nice, there is almost everything you need: some nude, pale or very dark colors, crazy colors (including a very nice navy blue, Who’s Zoomin Who, my little sister would love it!) I still prefer the color range of Anastasia Beverly Hills liquid lipsticks. It’s still my favorite regarding the shades (the formula of ABH liquid lipsticks is not the best though).
– Application: easy because the applicator is good: small and precise, it distributes the right amount of product on the lips and can draw a pretty and sharp lip contour.
– Feeling on the lips: they dry completely to become completely matte on the lips. At first, they’re a little bit tacky but after a few minutes, they dry completely and you can’t feel them on the lips.
Comfort wise, they’re not drying at all (even though I wouldn’t describe them as moisturizing).
– Lasting power: good. They last 6-8 hours on me even if I need to do a very small touch-up in the center of the lips after a meal. Also, they fade quite nicely during the day, without crumbling or doing that awful “butt-hole lips” effect, which is pretty cool.
– Value for money: I would say it’s a good value for money. I love the formula and the color range is quite nice. They retail for $21.
Too Faced Melted Matte liquid lipsticks, the colors:
– Queen B: a pinky mauve, almost a little greyish. I expected it to be a little more pink to be honest. This kind of color is not always super flattering on me. If I pair it with a warm colors based eye makeup to balance, it’s OK but it’s not a color that gives me a nice radiant glow… If I use a nude pink pencil to warm it up (like MAC Boldly Bare for example), it also helps. I think it would look better on a medium skin tone (I’ll try to remember to use more bronzer next time I’ll wear it wink ).
– Bend & Snap!: a stunning dark raspberry red, slightly purple. Even though it’s a darker shade, it’s super luminous and it really lights up the face. I also think its a perfect summer to fall transition shade, what do you think?
Finally, here are the swatches:
And on me:
– Queen B:
– Bend & Snap!:
- the packaging is nice and cute
- the applicator is precise and can be used to draw a pretty lip contour
- the finish is totally matte
- good pigmentation and opacity on the lips
- they feel lightweight on the lips
- not too drying
- transfer-proof and kiss-proof
- they fade quite nicely on the lips
- the packaging can be a bit complicated to store (especially if you organize things like me in acrylic compartments)
In short, it’s really a good surprise and if I can find the color Sell Out in the USA or in Canada, I’ll probably buy it too! smile
And you, have you tried these Too Faced Melted Matte liquid lipsticks? What are your thoughts?
Photo credit: bonnie-garner.com