- Editor Rating
- Rated 3.5 stars
- Very Good
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- PackagingEditor: 90%
- Color RangeEditor: 60%
- FinishEditor: 90%
- FormulaEditor: 80%
- ApplicationEditor: 70%
- PigmentationEditor: 90%
- CoverageEditor: 80%
- ScentEditor: 80%
- Lasting PowerEditor: 60%
- Value For MoneyEditor: 70%
- AvailabilityEditor: 70%
I finally decided to do my review about the very famous and highly raved about Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick. Are they really worth all the hype they get?
[acf_sbox]In France, Kat Von D is not that famous but in the US, UK, Australia, even the UAE, she’s a star.
Not only is she one of the most famous tattoo artists in the world, who tattooed tons of Hollywood celebrities. She has her own salon in Los Angeles since 2007 and she’s also famous thanks to her reality TV show, LA Ink that showed her life in her salon with her team of tattoo artists. It mostly showed celebrities coming to get a tattoo.
Her TV show lasted until 2011 but in the meantime, Kat Von D created her own makeup brand, distributed in Sephora US and recently on her website.
To be honest, not being particularly interested in tattoos (I like them but on others, not on myself), before she created her brand makeup, I didn’t know her very well.
She’s also often associated with the American rock scene, which is a type of music that I usually love but the Californian rock has never been my favorite (well, apart from Queens Of The Stone Age and Eagles Of Death Metal).
So definitely for me, her name is mainly associated with her make-up line (if you love tattoos, you probably hate me right now lol)(it’s OK, I can totally understand ;P ).
Since last year, the brand is distributed in Sephora Middle East, so it’s much easier for me to get the products, including the famous Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick that many beauty bloggers describe as the best liquid lipstick’s formula in the market.
I’ll be honest, for me, they’re not (the best). Even if I find them pretty good, I have several reasons to prefer other formulas to them…
Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick, presentation:
What the brands says about them:
“THE life-proof lipstick that will not wear off! Yes, you can eat, drink, make up, break up and mouth-off knowing your lips are gonna stay flawless through it all!
In 28 to-die-for shades, this creamy formula glides over lips like a gloss and sets to a true matte finish. Along with 24-hour wear and high-pigment color, the next-generation formula is packed with natural moisturizers, including Vitamin E and Sunflower Seed Wax. All-day wear has never felt so comfortable!
Live happily Everlasting!
100% Cruelty Free Forever!“
It’s a high pigmentation liquid lipstick, with a completely matte finish. The brand speaks of a very long-lasting power: 24h (???) (who keeps their lipstick on for 24h?)(#definitelytoooldforthat) but also a true comfort on the lips thanks to the skincare ingredients in the formula.
There are 28 colors in the range and the unit price is $20.
Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick, my test and thoughts:
– Packaging: pretty cool and original. It’s in the image of Kat Von D, with this very Californian rock tattoo vibe, and a Latin inspiration with the calligraphic roses on the cap, cool tribute to the artist’s origins.
– Texture: creamy while being quite liquid in the same time. It applies easily, without bleeding.
– Finish: it’s a completely matte finish that dries super quickly after application, leaving a velvety effect on the lips. The formula is transfer and kiss-proof. wink
– Scent: they’ve got a slightly sweet smell, but quite subtle. I like it, it’s not overpowering.
– Pigmentation: excellent, and also is the opacity on the lips. The color is true to what you see in the tube and in general, they apply evenly on the lips. The only shade that gave me a bit of trouble in terms of application was Bauhau5, which is less homogeneous than the others. But with two thin layers, it was OK.
– Color Range: clearly, I don’t think that I’m the target of this lipstick range. Apart from some colors (which are basically the ones I own), I find the colors of the range very dark and/or dull on me. With my skin tone (and let’s face it, my age), most weren’t very flattering. I prefer by far the shade range of the Anastasia Beverly Hills liquid lipsticks for example.
However, I think the color range is quite trendy and some of the Kat Von D Everlasting liquid lipstick shades are totally cult favorite colors (and always out of stock): Lolita (which doesn’t suit me at all but fits my little sister or my friend LuAnne like a glove) or Bow N Arrow (I haven’t even tried it, that sort of beige nude shade looks like baby poo on me :/).
– Application: a bit laborious because the applicator wand is super long and it doesn’t really help for the application… However, the applicator is quite good: small and precise, it distributes the right amount of product on the lips and can draw a pretty and sharp lip contour.
– Feeling on the lips: they dry completely to become completely matte on the lips, and they’re not tacky at all like some other thicker formulas, that you can “feel” more on the lips.
Comfort wise, I wouldn’t say that they’re drying, but they’re certainly not moisturizing despite the hydrating ingredients. These are not the most drying liquid lipsticks I tried (for now, this record is still shared between the ColourPop Ultra-Matte Lip and the MAC Retro Matte liquid lipsticks tongue ).
– Lasting Power: average. They last 5-6 hours max on me and they don’t resist a meal. It’s far from the 24h promised by the brand! However, they fade quite nicely during the day, without crumbling or doing that awful “butt-hole lips” effect, which is pretty cool.
– Value For Money: I find that the formula is not bad but the color range is not really for me. If you like these kinds of shades, I would say this is a pretty decent value for money. Their price is $20.
Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick, the shades:
– Lolita: a cult favorite color, probably because it’s a very Kylie Jenner kind of shade, a 90’s pinkish mauvy brown. Unfortunately, on me it looks very dark, very brown and I can’t really see the pink undertone… Thankfully, I purchased the mini version, sold with the color Lolita II which I love.
– Lolita II: a beautiful light beige orange terracotta shade, which I never thought I’d love! When I ordered the kit of 2 mini lipstick, it was mainly to try Lolita which was quite disappointing on me. And in fact, I had a real crush for Lolita II instead! Right now, this is one of my favorite liquid lipsticks shades and I wear it quite often (at least once a week and with my huge lipstick collection, it’s a lot bigsmile ).
– Lovesick: a light mauve pink. I expected it to be a bit more nude, to tell you the truth. Because this kind of color is a little tricky to wear for me: sometimes it goes very well (usually it’s when I pair with warm colors on my eyes to counterbalance), sometimes it doesn’t work and I look like a zombie. If I use a nude pink pencil to warm it up (like MAC Boldly Bare for example), it helps.
– Bachelorette: a sublime pinky red, with slightly warm undertones. Typically the kind of color I love at the moment and which is perfect to give you life if you look
like shit exhausted.
– Bauhau5: it’s a beautiful magenta pink with cool undertones. The perfect spring shade! It’s super luminous and it really lights up the face.
– Outlaw: a beautiful deep red, with slightly warm undertones. I think I don’t need to talk more about my addiction to red lipsticks. It’s typically the color I choose when I have zero inspiration for my makeup and which always works.
Finally, here are the swatches:
And on me:
– Lolita II:
- the packaging is nice and original
- the applicator is precise and can draw a pretty lip contour
- the finish is totally mat
- good pigmentation and opacity on the lips
- they feel lightweight on the lips
- not too drying (but not really moisturizing)
- they fade quite nicely on the lips
- I'm not crazy about the color range, many look very dark and/or dull on me
- the wand is very long, which doesn't help applying the lipstick
- not really long lasting, they don't survive a meal
In summary, I like the colors I own and I find that the formula is pretty decent (without being the best on the market) but I’m much prefer the colors in the Anastasia Beverly Hills liquid lipstick range, or the ColourPop Ultra Satin Lip liquid lipsticks’ formula for example.
And you, have you tried these Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks? What are your thoughts?
Photo credit: bonnie-garner.com