I’ve wanted to try the Dose Of Colors matte liquid lipsticks for so long.
But as it’s an independent brand that produces products in small quantities, the colors I wanted were often out of stock. And also, I have to admit that I had a few doubts about the products’ quality.
Makeup By Anna and Dose Of Colors
The brand Dose Colors Of The brand was created by a makeup artist, Anna (her artist name: Makeup By Anna). I couldn't find a specific year of creation, but it's a fairly new brand, I would say 2 or 3 years old maximum.
Anna was studying art and it inspired her vision of colors when she founded her makeup brand, Dose Of Colors.
The brand is recent, so there are not a lot of products available: lipstick, matte liquid lispticks (the bestsellers), lip glosses, fake eyelashes and highlighters.
But the brand is planning to launch its first eyeshadows palette in 2016! So stay tuned!wink
Dose Of Colors, for me, is a typical Insta-brand, which you can see all over the social media because they inundate bloggers, instagramers and YouTubers with their products.
Usually, when I see a product absolutely anywhere, I tend to be quite doubtful about it. Product placement (or disguised ads) in the videos and sponsored posts on Instagram is the sad reality of things at the moment!
So if everyone loooooves a product, it’s hard to think that people were not paid to talk about it.
So yes, I was curious but also very suspicious!. And I heard a French YouTuber Lovely Laety, speak about the brand. It was honest and unsponsored by Dose Of Colors. She looked genuinely in love with the brand and in particular the liquid lipsticks. There was that and also a cool little coupon code for Black Friday which really helped me, to convince myself, that I needed to try them! ;)
Dose Of Colors matte liquid lipsticks, presentation:
What the brand said about them:
Our liquid lipstick is a velvety high-fashion matte finish which envelops lips in a rich color.
Glides on smoothly and stays put throughout the day.
The matte liquid lipsticks are the most popular Dose Of Colors products and for good reason: the formula is supposed to be one of the greatest in the market and the colors developed by Anna, the founder of the brand are always super trendy. You could even say that the brand is a trend-setting one.
The color Stone for example, was out of stock so soon after its launch because it is exactly the type of slightly grayish nude rose that everybody wants at the moment.
But personally, I regret the lack of choice in terms of colors, because there are not so many available. However, you can mix them together to get exclusive colors. This type of liquid formula mixes super easily on your lips!
Dose Of Colors matte liquid lipsticks, the colors:
The choice of colors is quite complicated if you base your choice on the colors shown in the Dose Of Colors website.
No swatches, the photographs use a lot of filters, I had to choose quite randomly… Too bad when you know that the brand is mainly sold online!
And their Instagram account is quite similar. All the makeup looks regrammed by Dose Of Colors who are very heavy with the filters so it will give you an idea but clearly, it doesn’t help that much!
– Stone: a rosy nude color with gray undertones. On me, it’s a little too cold, so I usually pair it with a peach lip liner to warm it up a bit! wink Another tip: I love Stone and Truffle mixed together for a more flattering nude color given my skin tone.
– Truffle: a light peachy nude quite warm. A little bit too light for me, I have to add a darker lip liner to give it some dimension or even better, I mix it with Stone to have the perfect nude shade for me! wink
– Brick: a very brownish red that doesn’t show as red in real life as it does in my photos. On my pics, it looks like a dark brick red but in reality, it’s much more brown and it’s quite dark. I have not yet tried to mix it with another liquid lipstick shade but what I like to do is apply a dark red pencil underneath (ColourPop Bichette is great for that).
– Berry Me: my favorite. It’s a very bright plum. Sublime. The color is not as dark as you might think, and it gives a lot of radiance to the face.
– Berry Me 2: a beautiful purple pink, quite bright. My husband is not a fan of this shade but I love it! This is a statement color. This shade and a super simple makeup, and you’re good to go! wink
Dose Of Colors matte liquid lipsticks, my test and thoughts:
– Packaging: very elegant, it’s a plastic bottle with a lovely frosted glass effect, super chic and sleek.
– Formula: cruelty free, vegan, gluten and paraben free. Not bad, right? ;)
– Texture: this is a rather fluid formula, a little “foamy”, so it’s not runny on the lips and it stays in place quite well (it doesn’t bleed at all). It doesn’t dry completely and remains a little bit “sticky” on the lips. It’s not completely non-transfer but close.
– Perfume: it’s pretty sweet, but also very light. You barely smell it and the scent doesn’t really last after the application.
– Application: very easy thanks to the applicator which distributes the perfect amount of product. It’s precise and allows you to draw perfect contours. You can also easily reapply it throughout the day, it layers very well.
– Feeling on the lips: rather comfortable and it doesn’t dry the lips. But I wouldn’t say that it’s moisturizing, though. wink
– Pigmentation: Good pigmentation and good opacity for most of the formulas. The only one which disappointed me a bit is Berry Me 2. I had to insist a bit to get a decent coverage on my lips. But with 2 layers, the result is pretty good. smile
– Lasting power: Quite good. It lasts at least 6 hours, unless you eat greasy food. But it’s waterproof and can be reapplied easily if the center of the lips has been removed after a meal.
– Value for money: it’s not cheap ($18) but the quality is good. I must admit that I was glad I was able to order with a -20% discount! bigsmile
Finally, here are the swatches:
And on me:
– Berry Me:
– Berry Me 2:
– Stone + Truffle mixed together:
So, in summary:
I am quite pleased with this formula although I would have liked a bit more choice in the color range.
The shades are indeed all very trendy, but sometimes not super easy to wear and they may also be somewhat lacking in subtlety… Anyway, I imagine that within a few months, this problem will be solved with the addition of new shades. After all, the brand is still very young, it should grow! wink
Dose Of Colors matte liquid lipsticks are available on Dose Of Colors website for $18.
And you, have you tried Dose Of Colors matte liquid lipsticks? Any favorite? smile
Photo credits: bonnie-garner.com, Instagram