- Editor Rating
- Rated 3 stars
- Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy Liquid Lip Potion
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- InnovationEditor: 60%
- PackagingEditor: 90%
- Color RangeEditor: 90%
- FinishEditor: 90%
- Formula/IngredientsEditor: 80%
- ApplicationEditor: 60%
- PigmentationEditor: 80%
- Coverage/OpacityEditor: 60%
- PerfumeEditor: 60%
- Lasting PowerEditor: 60%
- Value For MoneyEditor: 60%
- AvailabilityEditor: 90%
Estée Lauder is launching its own liquid lipstick version! And as I’m slightly obsessed with liquid lipsticks at the moment, I couldn’t miss the new Pure Color Envy Liquid Lip Potion!
Estée Lauder is definitely targeting younger customers with this one (well, OK, young people who are able to buy a $30 lipstick, it’s true ;) )!
The liquid lipsticks are all the rage right now and younger makeup lovers adore them. If you’re a little bit interested in makeup, I’m guessing you will probably have noticed this big trend wink
All makeup brands are releasing their own liquid lipsticks at the moment or will be in the coming months (I’m particularly excited by the Mac version planned for 2016).
And lately, Estée Lauder was extremely successful with its lipstick releases IMO (see my posts on Pure Color Envy and Pure Color Envy Shine). So I was so impatient to try their new Pure Color Lip Envy Liquid Potion.
I almost bought 2 or 3 colors in order to do a nicer review (ah ah ah, what a pity of an excuse) but considering the price of this sucker ($30), I chose the color I wanted the most: Naughty Naïve, a sublime bright poppy red.
Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy Liquid Lip Potion, presentation:
What the brand says about it:
This innovative liquid lipstick hybrid plumps with continuous moisture. Saturates with high-intensity color, without sticky shine. Lips look pouty, sculpted, sexy.
Creamy, moisture–rich formula glides on in one effortless swipe of bold liquid color. Goes on wet. Comes on strong. Lasts up to 8 hours.
Oil elixir-infused formula is infused with avocado, jojoba and sunflower oils, creating a luxuriously comfortable, satin-matte finish.
Dual-sided applicator lets you shape and color with precise definition. One side has a rounded tip that follows the curves of your lips. The other, a well that holds extra color to build impact.
Depth, dimension and definition in one stroke.
It is indeed a liquid lipstick. It’s quite different from all those I have recently tried which have a very matte/velvet finish.
The Pure color Envy Lip Potion has a semi-matte finish, which becomes more and more mat throughout the day. In fact, it makes me think of the Melted liquid lipsticks by Too Faced that I talked about in my blog post about the Lip lacquers 2014. So for the innovation, well, I’m not so sure…
Formula wise, the brand talks about a long-term moisturizing effect. And if you have a closer look at the ingredients, you see some avocado oil, jojoba oil and sunflower oils. And it’s quite rare to find liquid lipsticks’ formulas don’t dry out, so it’s a very good point!
Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy Liquid Lip Potion, my test and thoughts:
– Packaging: sublime, as you would expect for Estée Lauder.
The bottle has the brand signature colors: a very deep blue and some gold and it’s engraved with the signature of the brand on top. A window on the front and the back of the bottle suggests the color of lipstick. The shape of the bottle is the same as the other lipsticks from the Pure Color Envy range, just slimmer. In terms of weight, it’s quite heavy, like any luxury lipstick has to be. wink
– Innovation: as I said earlier, I am not entirely convinced by the innovative aspect of this product because so many formulas like it were released by indie makeup brands several years ago now.
– Texture: this is a fluid formula, almost “moussy”, not runny at all and which stays in place on the lips.
– Perfume: it’s quite sweet without being sickening (it’s light). It smells a bit like a cupcake (I’m not the biggest fan of cupcakes and cupcakes scent but luckily for me, the perfume doesn’t stay too long after the application).
– Application: very easy thanks to the applicator which distributes the perfect dose of product on the lips. I like to apply a lip pencil before, but this is not an obligation, it’s quite precise by itself and it doesn’t bleed during the day. You can easily reapply throughout the day, it layers quite well.
– Feeling on the lips/Comfort: it’s actually very comfortable to wear and it’s not drying. For this type of formulas, it’s rare enough to be highlighted!
– Pigmentation: I don’t know if it’s only the case for the color I chose, but I found that I had to insist a bit to get good opacity. The brand speaks of a buildable product, but usually with a liquid lipstick, the opacity is there with the first layer. Here, I struggled a little to get the coverage I wanted. I didn’t really expect that and I was a little bit disappointed, to be honest.
– Color: I chose Naughty Naïve, a beautiful poppy, almost neon red. It’s a color that is quite difficult to find. On me, it’s always too orange.
Not here, here there is this little hint of pink which changes everything. This is a real perfect neon red, the kind of color that brightens immediately your face. A real savior after a short night!
– Lasting Power: I was sadly not impressed at all. It faded after a few hours, which is normal but I really hated the way it faded. It became a very ugly circle in the middle of my mouth (if you see what I mean, the “butt hole lips” kind of circle) (yep, I know, so sexayyy, right?). And it was so crusty, there were a lot of lipstick on my teeth… Great. -_-
– Value For Money: for a $30 lipstick, and especially in such a prestigious brand Estee Lauder, I was expecting so much more! it’s such a shame really, the color is so beautiful!
Finally, here’s the swatch:
And on me:
So, in summary:
- it's a beautiful object
- the color is sublime
- it's comfortable, and the comfort lasts all day
- there is lack of opacity at the application. You can make it opaque, but it takes several layers
- the lasting power is not very good and the way how it fades on the lips is not very pretty
- the price, a little unjustified seen its flaws
I wasn’t impressed with this formula, unfortunately. But hey, It probably won’t stop me for trying the new Pure Color Envy Matte lipsticks which will release shortly. You’re a real lipstick addict or you’re not! wink
The Pure Color Envy Liquid Lip Potion is available on the Estée Lauder’s website for $30.
And you, have you tried the Pure Color Lip Envy Liquid Potion by Estée Lauder? What are your thoughts?
Photos credits: bonnie-garner.com