- Editor Rating
- Rated 3 stars
- ColourPop Ultra Matte Lip
- Reviewed by:
Color RangeEditor: 90%
Lasting PowerEditor: 80%
Value For MoneyEditor: 80%
I need to confess something: sometimes I’m really ashamed of being a beauty addict.
To give you a very specific example:
– when I put an alarm at 3 am to not miss the beginning of the sale of the new ColourPop Ultra Matte Lip liquid lipsticks on their website (and I’m just starting here, wait for the rest lol)
– when I realize that I really don’t understand anything about US time zones (What is bloody Pacific time zone?) (especially at 3 am, no clue)
– when I realize that I’m late for this f ******g sale on the ColourPop website because they decide to make an early start (NOOOOO!!!),
– when the situation gets out of control because all the beauty addicts in the US, Canada, Australia and God knows where are clicking like crazy chicks (= exactly like me actually) trying to refresh the page because the ColourPop site crashed due to the number of visitors / orders,
– WE BROKE THE INTERNET, GIRLS!!! (nothing to be proud of, calm down, ColourPop just weren’t prepared enough with their website, that’s it),
– when I decide to convince my poor husband who is just back from a long business trip in the middle of the night to help me to place this damn order (#wifeoftheyearaward)
– when I finally surrender after two hours of trying for nothing (F***k it, it’s just lipsticks anyway) (I’m not like those freaks who line up for hours for the last iPhone, ah aha ha) (OK I GUESS YES, I AM),
– when my husband is still on it because he never surrenders (he’s British, I’m French, nothing surprising then) (The French always surrender) (I strongly deny by the way) (OK, this story is not helping at all, I know),
– when he finally managed to place this bloody order for me (#husbandoftheyearaward) (for real)
– when I’m so happy that you’d think I actually won this award (and I’m a little ashamed at the same time) (but I’m so happy) (but I’m a little ashamed) (but I…) !
ColourPop created an incredible buzz about the launch of these famous Ultra Matte Lip. They were everywhere on Instagram, YouTube or Snapchat (some bloggers had received them in advance).
Why such a buzz?
Matte liquid lipsticks are THE big trend at the moment in makeup. It’s simple, every brand has its own version (or will do soon, expect a wave/flood of liquid lipsticks everywhere in September), but ColourPop sell them for a very cheap price: $6.
And they have a choice of 25 amazing and trendy colors. So it was very simple: everyone wanted them!
They were out of stock in a few hours. They are now available on ColourPop website but for how long? wink
ColourPop Ultra Matte Lip liquid lipsticks, presentation:
These are liquid lipsticks with an ultra matte finish, probably the most matte lipsticks I own!
The brand describes a very light-weight formula, totally matte, velvet looking. There are 25 highly pigmented and opaque shades, very long lasting and completely kiss-proof.
Let’s see that in more details! wink
ColourPop Ultra Matte Lip liquid lipsticks, my thoughts:
The packaging is a plastic bottle with a metallic cap. I had read reviews that said that it was leaking but I didn’t have any problems with mine.
I find it rather sleek and elegant, it doesn’t look cheap at all.
Next to a Anastasia Beverly Hills liquid lipstick ($20), it looks quite similar! wink
– Innovation and formula:
I’m not sure you can talk about innovation here because this kind of formula is rather trendy at the moment, they are everywhere. And this formula is nothing different from the other ones.
It’s a very liquid texture, not “moussy” like some (in the style of the Rouge Edition Velvet by Bourjois for example).
The scent is so light you can barely notice it.
I was pleasantly surprised by the applicator that allows a rather precise application. However, the formula dries super quickly. You have to be quick!
Something else, make sure you have clean and dry lips (you can also scrub them) before applying this liquid lipstick! If there is the slightest trace of oil, the product won’t adhere well. You can apply a lip primer and it will smoothen your lips for a better application.
But honestly, it’s not the quickest lipstick to apply in the world, be warned…
My method of application:
– generally, I do the lower lip first, then I just dip the applicator a second time in my bottle to apply it on the upper lip,
– I try not to forget any spot during my application because once the product is dry (and it’s pretty fast), it’s almost impossible to add some more without making the product crumble, so the application has to be done in one single layer,
– I try to avoid applying the product with back and forth gestures so that it doesn’t move on the lips,
– I stretch my lips before the product is dry to be sure I have applied it everywhere (and it won’t crack when it’s dry),
– I’m careful not to put too much in the middle of the lips because otherwise I find it everywhere on my teeth!!
The brand advises to use first a lip pencil and I agree, especially if you want a sharp contour with the darkest or brightest colors.
There aren’t (yet) ColourPop lip pencils to match this range of Ultra Matte Lips lipsticks, but there are a lot in the existing range of Lippie Pencils that can be used with those, I guess. wink
If you want to touch up during the day, it’s a bit tricky because these lipsticks don’t layer very well. I usually try to add more product on the area where there is no lipstick any more, to have a more homogeneous result.
– Pigmentation and coverage:
The pigmentation of these is generally very good but about the coverage, even if I’m satisfied with most of the colors I chose, some have disappointed me a lot.
Succulent and Lychee (to a lesser extent) don’t apply evenly on my lips. They’re quite patchy. Such a shame! sad
– Finish and feeling on the lips:
The finish is completely matte, like velvety lips and it’s really pretty, especially with the bright colors (and more wearable). It’s also no-transfer.
However, the feeling on the lips is the big downside of these products: they are extremely drying! Not comfortable at all.
And for those who tend to have rather dry lips like me, it’s a problem… If I wear it for an evening, for just a few hours, it’s OK but for one entire day, after a few hours, I want to jump on my lip balm!
One piece of advice if like me, you have dry lips:
You can apply a lip primer before applying your Ultra Matte Lip. The application will be easier but it also keeps the moisture of your lips. It won’t transform these lipsticks in the world’s most comfortable lipsticks to wear, but it’s much better!
ColourPop retails one such lip primer for $5. I really recommend adding it to your order! wink
– Lasting power:
The lasting power is pretty good although after a meal, a little touch up is required in the middle of the lips.
Also, it’s not the kind of formula that erases itself super nicely on the lips. After 6-7 hours (which is not bad at all), the finish on the lips is much less perfect and even if you can still see the color of course, the matte “film” covering the lips has small holes and crumbles a little…
I definitely won’t choose this lipstick for a long day.
$6 my friends, so at this price, you want to forgive its little flaws! wink
ColourPop Ultra Matte Lip liquid lipsticks, the shades:
With 25 shades, the choice is super large!
I chose 8 shades: Trap, Bumble, Tulle, Avenue, Succulent, Creeper, Mars, and Lychee.
The first 4 are more neutral (and for 3 of them quite dark also) and the other 4 are bright colors.
Trap: I guess that this color won’t be everybody’s favorite but I wanted a pink beigy taupe like this for a long time and I didn’t want to spend a fortune on it. I know it won’t be the color I’ll wear the most but I quite like it! wink
Bumble: I wasn’t lucky with this color, it doesn’t suit me at all. It’s a reddish rusty brown and I really don’t like this orange tone on me. I think it really clashes with my skin tone… #fail sad
Tulle: a beautiful burgundy with a slight hint of brown. It will be perfect for this fall and winter!
Avenue: a very intense warm dark red, very flattering for my complexion (I’m not a fan of purple dark red on me but this kind of warm dark red is perfect!). Same thing, it’s more an “autumn-winter” color, I think. But it’s still beautiful.
Succulent: what a disappointment! I’m super fan of the color, a sublime neon orange red but I couldn’t achieve a smooth result when I applied it on my lips! Such a shame ..
Creeper: superb! A sublime bright red, with a slightly cold undertone. No surprises with this one, I know it’s a color that suits me. wink
Mars: a perfect color for summer! This is a neon red fuchsia, not too blue. If you like super bright colors, you will love this one! wink
Lychee: I’m not certain to wear this color every day but for those days when I feel like experimenting, it’ll be perfect! This is a vivid purple pink and I love it on its own, with just a little bit of mascara and that’s it! wink
Finally, here are the swatches:
And my lip swatches:
- the color range is fantastic: 25 stunning colors
- the finish is really ultra matte
- a good pigmentation and coverage in general
- a great lasting power
- no transfer (or very minimal)
- the applicator is quite precise
- the low price !!!
- the lack of comfort; it's almost painful to wear if like me you tend to have dry lips (although with a lip primer, it gets better)
- some shades are patchy when you apply them
- it's impossible to layer it if the product is dry, it becomes crumbly and flacky
- it must be applied quickly in one single layer as the product dries super quickly : not super easy, especially for beginners
- the brand still does not deliver internationally (come on ColourPop, you can do it!!!)
For me, it’s not the best liquid lipstick formula in the market, to be honest. But let’s say that it’s cool to have the opportunity to have some great and trendy shades available when they are so cheap. wink
My top 3 on me are Creeper, Avenue and Mars. What are yours?
The Ultra Matte Lips are available on ColourPop website for $6 each.
And you, are you tempted by these Ultra Matte Lip by ColourPop? Which shades are on your wishlist?
Photos credits: bonnie-garner.com
Cet article est aussi disponible en français: ColourPop Ultra Matte Lip, mon avis
Great news! Worldwide delivery is finally available for ColourPop! (Well, to be precise, it will be tonight wink )
The brand is now delivering all over the world, except China and Turkey. I don’t know all the details yet but apparently the delivery fees will depend on the location and the weight of each package.