So, let’s go on with the lipsticks summer saga, shall we? And today, a special edition : “summer lipsticks 2014”!
The lipsticks I mentioned in my first post of the summer lipsticks blog series, were not really summer lipsticks, so today let’s make it more summer friendly…
This lipstick is part of a collection that MAC launched this summer, the Alluring Aquatic collection.
When I say “this summer”, I actually mean it. Everywhere in the world, this collection was available last spring, but here in Dubai, it just landed on the MAC counters 2 weeks ago. So, I’m sorry if I’m introducing you to an already sold out lipstick (because it’s sadly a limited edition)!
But, you never know, you may perhaps find a MAC shop where they still have it!;)
I may, or may not, have bought this lipstick only for its packaging… But with a MAC lipstick, you cannot really be disappointed by the quality, so I wasn’t taking too much of a risk.
So let me be a little more specific:
– Innovation: about the formula, no surprise, it’s not really a new thing, but I would say that the innovation here is more about the delightful packaging. I really love this genius “drops of water” effect! And this effect is also on the packaging, so I cannot get myself to throw it away. smile
– Texture: this lipstick is a ” MAC Cremesheen” finish, which is a very creamy texture, very comfortable to wear on the lips.
– Application: very easy with this very creamy texture. The lipstick covers the lips with just one layer.
– Pigmentation: great pigmentation as always with MAC lipsticks, no exception, especially with the Cremesheen finish. The colour pay-off is great, it’s not really a sheen lipstick.
– Long-lasting power: rather good, it easily lasts 4 hours on my lips. It’s not a real long-lasting lipstick, its more of an average one. A little touch-up after lunch is necessary, but if you’re like me, a little ‘show-off’ when it comes to beautiful lipsticks, you won’t mind getting this lovely lipstick out of your hand-bag in public.
– Colour: it’s an easy one. Not really a crazy colour. It’s true, Mystical is not really a crazy colour, but more a universally flattering one, especially with a little bit of tan, it’s a summery collection after all. MAC describes Mystical as a mid-tone rose, I would add that it’s more a dusky rose, with a warm undertone. It’s like an intense nude, very easy to wear obviously!
– Smell: it smells like vanilla, like all the MAC lipsticks, and I love it!
– Packaging: probably the main reason why I purchased this lipstick. I’m not always a huge fan when it comes to MAC limited editions (some of them are very funny and cute, but some others, like Wonderwoman, if you remember it, well let’s just say it’s not really my cup of tea…). About Alluring Aquatic, it was very difficult to choose, all the collection was very tempting!
So the packaging colour is described as a teal, but I would say that it is more a blue lagoon colour and it has its special effect, with the water droplets. I just love it so much! It’s so pretty and it’s very Instagram-y… wink
– Price: In Dubai, it costs 108 AED which is the same price as other MAC permanent lipsticks, so still a good value for money in the market.
In summary, a big thumbs up for this lipstick, so if you can find a MAC counter which still sells it, run!
See what’s happening when you spend too much time reading beauty blogs?
You end up discovering a bunch of new exciting brands that you didn’t even know existed ten seconds earlier and immediately become your new ‘raison d’etre’ (purpose in life). Yes, it’s true what they said, bloggers are that influent, lol.
Lipstick Queen is an Australian brand, which was founded by a real lipstick addict, Poppy King (I love her name!). She couldn’t find her perfect red lipstick. I knew it could be the quest of a lifetime (no, I’m not dramatic at all), but some people just take it to another level.
So, she basically decided to create her own lipstick company, which, after all, is another great solution. wink
Lipstick Queen is sold in some places, here in Dubai. You can find Poppy King’s lipsticks in the cute shop Makeup etc., in Bloomingdale’s and of course, on Alshop.com. You can also find Lipstick Queen on Amazon.
This summer’s collection, Endless Summer, is very appealing with its four bright pop colours.
– Innovation: not really an innovation with this lipstick, more of a product that is very well thought through. But it has an SPF 15 and also a PA ++, which is perfect for the summer season!
– Texture: very creamy, and moisturising (it has vegetable oils, candelilla wax and vitamin E inside), it’s almost a lip balm, but with more pigmentation.
– Application: this is the kind of lipstick which can be applied without mirror, in the dark, with eyes-closed. A real fool-proof product! It’s really a dream to apply thanks to its consistency.
– Pigmentation: it’s more a sheer lipstick. It has more pigmentation than a lip balm, but less than a classic lipstick. In summertime, especially when it’s very hot outside, it’s great sometimes to just wear a splash of colour on the lips, and nothing else.
– Lasting-power: well, not really its main selling point. But hey, with this kind of formula, that’s not really the point. It doesn’t matter, it’s nice to put some more on during the day, thanks to its very good moisturising effect.
– Colour: To be honest, I chose Stoked, a bright coral, because the colour I originally wanted, Aloha, wasn’t available. Aloha is a beautiful sheer warm-tone red. But that’s probably for the best! I love red, and I have tons of red lipsticks and I’m probably the only one able to distinguish the difference between the shades (please, tell me in the comment section that I’m not alone in lipstick-crazy-town).
So oddly enough, I don’t have much coral lipstick in my (teeny-tiny)(ah ahahhhha) makeup collection. So, Stoked is very pretty and easy color to wear, especially with a bit of a tan. (If I’m very honest, it’s a very reddish coral, so that’s probably the reason I chose it). But of course, if I run into Aloha one day, I would probably have to have it!;)
– Smell: not really a good one, here. It’s not really scented, but it has a very funky smell. I really don’t like it. But thankfully, it is quite subtle, still, it’s really a pity. A lipstick with a great taste is always a winner…
– Packaging: I love Lipstick Queen’s packaging, it’s so cute! It’s not really ostentatious luxury here, but it remains a beautiful thing. I love the fact that it’s colourful, sunny and metallic. And did I mention that Lipstick Queen’s logo is pure genius?
– Price: On Space NK website, you can find it for 18£ and here, in Dubai, the price is 110 AED, which is a correct value for money.
And the award for the cutest packaging in the world is going to… (drum rolls) TARTE!
Seriously, look at that, what a cutie!
Tarte is a US makeup and skincare brand founded in 1999, which focuses on natural type formulas and very good active ingredients, even in its makeup products. It’s not really an organic brand. For example, there are still some silicones in a lot of the products. But hey, in the US, you seem to love silicones…
This natural and green(washing?) side of the brand can be also noticed in the packaging, made with eco-friendly materials. And in the same time, the packaging are just adorable.
So, what about this Amazonian Butter Lipstick?
– Innovation: the formula composition is pretty clean, without parabens, trichlosan, mineral oils, phtalates, sodium lauryl sulfate or gluten. Quite rare for makeup.
– Texture: this lipstick claims to be a “butter” and that’s exactly what it is. It’s very creamy and moisturising (thanks to the shea and cupuacu butters inside the formula). Like Lipstick Queen lipstick, it’s almost the same formula as a lip balm, but with more pigmentation.
– Application: totally fool-proof, very easy to apply thanks to its sheerness.
– Pigmentation: it’s a sheer lipstick, so the pigmentation is quite light here.
– Lasting-power: not excellent, but here again, that’s not really the point, so no surprise. And with this cute packaging, it’s not a shame to do some touch-ups during the day with it!;)
– Colour: I chose Pink Peony, a soft and warm pink, with some teeny-tiny golden shimmers. I love this color, very flattering and so easy to wear. All the colours of the range are pretty, and because they’re all quite sheer, there is no risk of getting the choice of colour wrong…
– Smell: it smells and tastes like mint. I looove mint scent in a lipstick! I know it’s not the case for everyone (a lot of people dislike it), but I really like the freshness of the mint scent and another good point is that it activates the micro-circulation in the lips, make them appear fuller.
– Packaging: I think that we all understood: I bought this lipstick because of the packaging, again!;) It is so cute and adorable, with its floral print… It’s made from paper (for the environment-friendly aspect, I guess), though, so be aware of it if you want to take it in your hand bag, it seems to be a little fragile…
– Price: it costs 79 AED , which is a correct price.
In conclusion, here are the swatches of the 3 lipsticks:
You can click to enlarge the image. (sorry for my bad skin, I’ve been suffering from an allergy caused by an household product for a week now on my arms, and it still hasn’t gone away!)
And you, what are your favorite lipsticks this summer? (yes, plural? There can’t be just one, can there?)
Photos credits: Bonnie Garner, MAC, Lipstick Queen, Tarte, bonnie-garner.com
Cet article est aussi disponible en français: Summer lipsticks 2014 feat. MAC, Lipstick Queen & Tarte