- Editor Rating
- Rated 4 stars
- Sephora Cream Lip Stain
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- PackagingEditor: 50%
- Color RangeEditor: 90%
- FinishEditor: 80%
- FormulaEditor: 90%
- ApplicationEditor: 90%
- PigmentationEditor: 90%
- Coverage/ OpacityEditor: 90%
- ScentEditor: 60%
- Lasting PowerEditor: 80%
- Value For MoneyEditor: 90%
- AvailabilityEditor: 90%
I know and have loved the Sephora Creme Lip Stain for years. Their original color range was not really my cup of tea. But Sephora recently added 27 new colors to this range. So I thought it was about time I told you more about them!
I always found that these matte liquid lipsticks were one of the best formulas on the market, but apart from 2-3 colors, I was not a huge fan of the color range. I found them quite common and without much nuance. Especially if you compare them with some color ranges from other makeup brands, like Anastasia Beverly Hills, for example, they were not the best.
However, the shades 01 Always Red and 13 Marvelous Mauve are two must-have colors in my collection. For these two specific shades, Sephora nailed it. The 01 Always Red is one of the most beautiful matte red in my collection and the 13 Marvelous Mauve is my very first “Dusty Rose” and still one of my faves!
So when I learned that Sephora was expanding the range (and not just a little, 27 more shades!), I ran to sephora.com to choose some new colors! So today, I’ll show you three lipsticks from the old collection and three new ones.
Sephora Creme Lip Stain, presentation:
What the brand says about them:
“A silky, long-lasting lip stain that keeps lips covered with bold color from AM to PM—no need to reapply or touch up throughout the day.
This bestselling, high-coverage lip color glides on smooth and transforms from a creamy texture into a silky, lightweight stain. Infused with avocado oil, the long-lasting formula delivers rich color that feels comfortable, is never sticky, and won’t dry out lips. “
It’s a liquid lipstick with a totally matte finish, a lightweight feeling and an intense color result on the lips.
Sephora claims it doesn’t transfer and it’s supposed to be long lasting but also comfortable thanks to the avocado oil it contains.
In the range, there are 40 colors, and they retail for $14.
Sephora Creme Lip Stain, my test and thoughts:
Very simple, no fuss. (Yes, I could have said ugly lol) It’s a plastic tube. Here, clearly, you get what you pay for (it’s quite cheap). The capacity is average (5ml).
It’s a mousse texture but quite liquid. It’s more or less fine according to the colors. But in any case, it applies easily and does not smudge.
The finish is completely matte and dries quickly after application, leaving a velvet layer on the lips. The formula is quite transfer-free and kiss-proof, although it can leave some very light traces on your glass or mug.
A rather sweet and chemical scent but fortunately, neither too strong nor too heady. It disappears quickly, as soon as the product is dry.
It’s excellent, as well as the opacity on the lips. The color is slightly darker than what you can see in the bottle when it’s on the lips, and it applies rather homogeneously. I had a little more trouble with the darkest color I have (24 Burnt Sienna), but with two thin layers, the result was decent.
– Color Range:
Recently, it became a very wide range, with a lot of different colors (40!). There are nudes, real bright colors, lighter or very dark ones (there is even a black one), crazy colors (blue, two different greens!). I love the choice of neutral colors, the old range was clearly lacking them.
It’s rather easy thanks to the small and angled foam applicator. It distributes the right amount of product and perfectly coats the lips thanks to its shape and allows to draw nice neat contours without smudging.
– Feeling on the lips:
They dry in seconds to become completely matte. You can barely feel them on the lips even if they remain a bit sticky, but it’s very light. I’ve noticed that usually when a liquid lipstick is a little sticky, it’s also more comfortable, so it does not bother me.
They’re not too drying. I would not go so far as to call them moisturizing, but it doesn’t feel tight like with some other formulas I tried.
– Lasting power:
It’s pretty good. They last about 6 to 8 hours on me, although I have to do a little touch up in the center of the lips after a meal. They fade pretty nicely during the day, without crumbling or making that awful circle / “butt hole lips” at the center of the lips.
– Value for money:
It’s a very good value for money. The quality is excellent for $14!
Sephora Creme Lip Stain, the colors:
– 40 Pink Tea: a light pink nude. Usually, I pair it with a slightly darker lip pencil to give it a little depth, because the color is lighter than my lip’s natural color. This color looks great with a dramatic eye makeup.
– 23 Copper Blush: a very pretty neutral pinky brown, with a cool undertone, it’s almost a taupe. It’s now in the top 3 of my favorite shades in this range! I love this color!
– 13 Marvelous Mauve: a pinky mauve, my very first “Dusty Rose”. I like it very much, it’s super soft and doesn’t have that gray side that this kind of colors can have. This shade is a must-have for me! smile
– 01 Always Red: a stunning, intense bright cherry red, the perfect Hollywood red. I wore it so much that it’s my second tube. That’s how much I love it! wink
– 03 Strawberry Kissed: a neon pinky red. It’s the kind of shades I love in summer. It’s a super bright color, and it looks stunning if you have a tan.
– 24 Burnt Sienna: a dark plum, quite a vampy shade. I was surprised by its color when I received it. On sephora.com, you can see some swatches of the colors, and it looks like a dark raspberry on the image, not a purple. It’s still a very pretty color, but the swatch on the website is a little bit misleading…
Finally, here are the swatches:
And on me:
– Pink Tea (40):
– Blush Copper (23):
– Marvelous Mauve (13):
– Burnt Sienna (24):
– Strawberry Kissed (03):
– Always Red (01):
- a very wide color range (40 shades!)
- the applicator is quite precise and allows to draw a nice and sharp contour
- the finish is a pretty velvety matte
- the good pigmentation and opacity on the lips
- they're very lightweight
- not too drying (without being really moisturizing)
- almost without transfer and kiss-proof
- they fade quite nicely on the lips
- the price
- the packaging is not the best, it's a little bit too simple
In summary, it’s a real good formula of matte liquid lipstick, if you like this type of product. They are also pretty easy to find and not too overpriced. A must IMO! smile
The Sephora Creme Lip Stain are available on sephora.com for $14.
And you, have you tried the Sephora Creme Lip Stain liquid lipsticks? Which ones are your favorites?
Photo credit: bonnie-garner.com